Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Cannery!?

What is a Cannery? It is a "store" operated by the Church of Jesus Christ and Later day Saint*s aka the LDS or Mormons.

Lisa and I (are you surprised) have been doing a lot of research of food storage. The LDS have wonderful beliefs in food storage and being debt free. From what we gather from websites and blogs they try to have a 3 months supply and a 1 year supply of food for their household. In theory a 1 year supply looks good to me. If Chad were to lose his job or someone was sick or injured it would be very useful. We could live off our food supply and it would be one less thing to worry about. In reality getting and storing a years supply of food for a family of 6 takes a lot of time and space. I have the space, I just need to get it organized. It is the time where I am lacking. I am really trying to get better at time management. Maybe if I stopped blogging I would have more time. Honestly if I stopped reading blogs I would have more time:)

Back to the Cannery. In the many months Lisa and I have been researching food storage the Cannery kept popping up. We kept seeing the writers of the blogs we like mention saving money (our other hobby) and buying in bulk at the cannery. We knew we HAD to get in to this place. We were thrilled to find out that there was a Cannery located less than 20 minutes from our house. We just had to figure out how to get in. You can not just drive there and go in like it is Kroger. First we were not sure if you could even shop there if you were not LDS. We were getting conflicting stories from the websites we were reading. The most recent information we could find said non- LDS were once able to shop at the cannery. However after Y2K it was closed to the public. We needed to find someone who could get us in.

Months earlier I was talking to the cashier at Kroger about grinding wheat and making bread (I am way to friendly). As the bagger was taking my groceries to the car he mentioned that she was Mormon. Since I needed someone to get us into the cannery I asked the cashier if she would take us. She did some research and found out we could go alone. Yeah!!!! After months of research we were able to go. We just needed and appointment. It took a while to get an appointment because they are only open a few hours a week and we could not get in contact with a live person. Finally someone answered and we were in!

Lisa and I packed the kids up about a week later and headed to the cannery. We were so excited! It took us less than 20 minutes to get there. We went in filled out our order form, they loaded the stuff on carts, we paid, they took it to our car and we were done. Months of research and it took us less than 10 minutes. That's OK. We can not wait to go back. I am sure it will take us some time to get through all of this wheat, oats, powdered milk and re fried beans. Dinner anyone?

1 comment:

  1. That is fascinating! I also have been trying to store some extra food....but I'm not very good at it. I would love to know more. So there's a good blog post idea for you....list out some of the things you are storing away, quantities, shelf life and where you are putting it all!

    ReplyDelete